Tuesday 29 July 2014

A Sunny Week in Gloucester!



From 28 July 2014

Dear Everyone,
 
First of all, thanks so much for the random pink water bottles that I got in the post today! I take a hint that someone thinks I need to be drinking more water. Not sure why pink though... It has been very hot and sunny lately which has been tough but it's ok. We just are careful to not bike too far and to take breaks in the shade periodically plus hydration and sunscreen. The weather is quite nice today actually-sunny and clear with a few clouds but not really hot (yet-it's only 12).
 
This week has been a bit slower for missionary work but it's been a good learning/humbling/growing week for me. The Icing on the cake was a quote from President Monson that is my new motto. Here it is:
 


So that's my new motto. It's hard for me because I'm a natural problem solver-I see a problem and just want to fix it immediately (although maybe it's just too long in science and engineering related studies...). Sometimes people and their feelings/needs then become secondary to the need to solve the problem at hand and return to optimum efficiency or performance. I realised though that when we focus on individuals and there needs as would the saviour, those things may naturally follow and things will eventually work out the way the Lord wants them to.
 



So, like I said, it's been a learning and growing week for me. Elder Jones is doing great. I'm learning to love his Finnishness (not Fishiness!-try saying Finnish Fishing 10 times fast!). Things are good even if our area is slow and people aren't super responsive. We got to do some service for Gary and Susanne doing some work on their back garden. It was really great to do some physical work even if it was swelteringly hot and humid and sweat was dripping off my forehead.
 


Love you all lots. Sorry it's so short but I'm out of time! Hope to hear from you all soon! I'll try to write some letters today if there's time.
 
Elder Houghton

No comments:

Post a Comment