Sunday 13 July 2014

Worth It All!

Tekstiin lisättävä kuva 3
A Baptism!
Elder Jones, Elder Houghton, G, and Elder Orr
Dear Everyone,

Transfers happened on Wednesday. They weren't that exciting. Elder Hunter and I knew that we would probably be split up and that it was slightly more likely that Elder Hunter would leave than me so it was no surprise when that happened. I'll now be in Gloucester for my 5th transfer total (3 in C and 2 in A now) and my new companion is Elder Jones. He's Finnish but his Dad is Welsh-thus the Welsh Jones. He's very tall and blond-my first not brown hair companion I realised. He's been out on his mission for 3 transfers (thus continuing the theme of me not serving with anyone who's been out more than 4.5 months except my trainer), and he was trained by President Boyd K. Packer's grandson Elder Packer in Cwmbran, Wales (awkward when people ask how long he's been in England and he has to explain that he's been on his mission for a a while but he's only been in England for a few days (because English people tend to think of all of the UK as England but that's offensive to the Non-English UK citizens).

Tekstiin lisättävä kuva 1
G was baptised on Saturday with a bang and a splash! We got there way early to fill the font but it didn't work. Turns out the boiler for the font was messed up again so we ended up filling it cold and late so that even though the baptism service didn't start until 6:30 (it was scheduled for 6), we had to wait a few more minutes for more water to fill it up so that I could safely get G under the shallow water. Fortunately, it's the summer so it wasn't that cold-really quite refreshing and nothing compared to the water that my family is going to be in for the Tahoe Swim I hear. S loved it all even though she wasn't feeling well. G's confirmation went well in Church on Sunday-it was a full house because there was an extended family there for a baby blessing. We taught G and S about Temple and Family History work while doing their dishes last night (not enough time for washing up and a lesson so we did them together). We showed them family Search and they were impressed that I could trace back to Houghtons before the 1500s. So, the only issue is getting their membership numbers so they can start on their family history work and take those names to the temple so that their ancestors can have the same joy and peace that they have now. S was just so happy and she's really seen a change in her life since she's started coming back to church. I got to hear the full story over dinner last night and it has been a long journey for her-she has endured it well.
 
In other news, the weather hasn't been half bad. My knee has been bugging me a little bit again (I thought it was only a winter thing from thermals but now I think it's a reaction to the fact that we've been only biking for so long that when I had to take a long walk with the Elders I was with for transfers in Gloucester, my knee didn't like it one bit. Quite odd but that's my theory for the moment). We're back on bikes now (Elder Jones didn't have one when he came from Wales because it was his first area and there was one in the flat there for him to use so Gary hooked him and the new Elder in the District up with really good used bikes for great prices (I was way jealous)). So things should now be good.
 
Hopefully everyone knows about the Birmingham Mission Blog at ebmission.blogspot.com where Sister Rasmussen has posted loads of pictures. You can hunt for some of me or anyone if you want. It's just tricky because they don't add names so you have to zoom in on the nametags. We have an amazing Mission President and Mission President's Wife. They are the best and they truly love and care about us a lot.
 
Sorry for no pictures again. I'm getting some of the baptism from Elder Jones and will forward them soon.
 
No more time here but I love you all lots. Things are going great. I have learned a lot recently and have yet much more to learn!
 
Elder Houghton


No comments:

Post a Comment