Tuesday 10 June 2014

A Week in June!

From 9 June 2014

Dear Everyone,
 


Firstly, on the weather. The weather is always changing and can be a bit frustrating. I had one person promise me that I didn't need to carry my jacket in my backpack on Sunday because it was so nice and surely wouldn't rain and then there was a downpour for a bit in the afternoon but went back to being nice 30 minutes later. There was one massively cold and pouring down rain day as well (Thursday I think) plus a forecast for torrential rain and hurricane force winds which cancelled the greatly anticipated ward summer party on Saturday but was not that bad at all and ended at 12 and there could have been a great party in the afternoon except for the sogginess and the fact that the party had already been cancelled. So, the weather has not been making us happy lately. Other than that, it's been sunny and warm-quite pleasant. I keep thinking that it's too hot before realising that it's not really hot at all by any standard I'd had before my mission.

 





Secondly, I don't know if it's the weather but there has been a dramatic increase in bike damage lately. I've had like three flat tyres, a broken pedal arm, and a broken pedal (on two different bikes) to deal with. We are blessed with a wonderful and amazing investigator who fixes bikes as a hobby though so things are ok. He's amazing and always willing to help.
 


Thirdly, Church was great on Sunday. We had three American accents for talks on Sunday (an American couple plus a Sister missionary) and there were a few jokes that the ward would need a translator. Even in the few short weeks that we missionaries have been trying to work with members and get to know them more, the ward is changing bit by bit and things are getting better. The members in the Gloucester Ward are fantastic and I'm beginning to realise that the members and the organisation of the church often provide the foundation upon which long term successful missionary work can be built up and maintained. So, we're going to address and support that foundation as much as we can so that our efforts in this part of the Lord's vineyard can be magnified.
 
Fourthly, I got to skype my family yesterday which was great but also very short. It was great to see them and I was happy to know that they are all well (including Eliza who just got back from her mission and Levi who dropped an octave and gained a few (quite a few) inches). I love my family so much!
 
Fifthly, I now have a working camera (thanks to the family) but I forgot the micro to normal SD card adapter which would enable me to share the pictures that I took today of District P day (also took a lot of time so I'm getting further behind on my letters--ahh!). The six of us missionaries in Gloucester got a private tour of an underground ruin of a section of the ancient Wall around Gloucester. It was quite remarkable. There's a windown fom Eastgate Street which is a major City Centre street into part of it but it was quite a bit larger and way cooler than I'd expected. The museum lady was happy to let us into the museum and then underground even though the museum was closed and it was great. Then we went to McDonald's (in a secret recognition of the fact that we just barely have an American majority in the Gloucester District now (we haven't for quite a while)). Ok, actually I just thought of that now and it was really because we had McDonald's coupons. We also met the World Record Holding Town crier.
 
Oh snap. I only have one minute left. I was going to share a lot more cool stuff. I love you all lots and hope you have a great week. Next week's email will be better.
 
Elder Houghton

No comments:

Post a Comment